DYI - Home Made Mayonnaise - Success I Made it Tonight !



Well to my surprise you can may Mayonnaise at home ! Living in snow country with a major snow storm , and discovering your out of mayo and the closest store is 6 miles away. Normally not a problem, but the snow falling so hard you cant see very far. Now I could have gone to the local mom and pop place, but paying $7 for a mayo the size of a baby jar is not an option for this frugal lady.

I was able to find the recipe , but added a twist to it and I have to say " I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT !!  I am actually thinking of making this in bigger batches and not buy it anymore at $3-$4 a jar. This was pretty cheap considering I have everything in my pantry. And its EASY to do, just takes a little patience as in waiting for the mixer to do the work while you drink a cup of coffee- Yup that easy.


Ingredients

  • 1 Large Egg Yolk
  • 1 tsp Lemon Juice
  • 1. tsp yellow mustard
  • 1/2 tsp water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Cup of Vegetable Oil

Directions:

Combine the yolk, salt, mustard , water, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. By Hand Whisk this for a few minutes. Add in about a few drops of the oil and whisk again. Now with your mixer and a whisk attachment. Turn this on high and slowly stream the oil into it. 

Now for the hard part ! Walk away, this is going to take about 15 minutes , read a book, have coffee or grab Todays Freebies and Coupons  from Nanas Deals  *wink*

When this is nice and creamy and thick, remove and put in a jar , you can use it right away or refrigerate a bit to get cold. I could not wait. Plus remember we were in need of mayo for dinner.!

Enjoy