I just love this little trick I created with ONE Roasted Chicken to Create (3) Dinners this week and wanted to share with you.
- Roasted Chicken - Either Roast or Buy from your Supermarket already roasted !
- Seasoned Butter Corn
- Home Made Mac n' Cheese ( short cut - Boil up Pasta drain, add in a can of Cheddar Cheese Sauce, salt and pepper - kids love it )
Dinner #2 - Home Made Chicken Soup
- Save the left over Chicken from dinner, and pulled off from Bone what I could and save
- Take the chicken bones and carcase and add to a pot of water, add in 1 onion and baby carrots, and season as you like. I added garlic and onion powder, seasoning salts, parsley , salt and pepper and simmered for an hour.
- With a bowl under a large strainer I drained the broth into a bowl - then removed the carrots and onion and set aside and any bits of chicken left on the bones ( you would be surprised how much is still there off a roasted chicken.
- Add the carrots, onion and chicken back to the broth
- Packaged up the left over chicken from dinner and shredded it , corn and the mac n cheese in containers.
- Packed up the Broth that i just made
- Put everything in the fridge
- On Day too - pull out that Crock Pot and add all that stuff you packed up to into it. Let simmer for 3-4 hours on low in crock pot
- Most delish Home Made Chicken Noodle Soup
- Serve with Crackers or Grilled Cheese -- yumm !
Day # 3 - Chicken and Dumplings
Unless you have some super hearty eaters ( we have 4) The next meal you are going to make is Chicken and Dumplings from that left over Soup !
- On day 3 - Pull that big pot you have
- Add your soup from the night before to it and bring to a boil
- Add 3 Cups of Milk or 1/2 and 1/2- return to a boil
- Make some simple quick dumplings ( Flour Milk, Baking Powder- Mix to dough, roll out and cut in strips)
- Add them to the boiling soup for about 5 minutes
- remove with a strainer and set aside
- Make a slurry of cornstarch and milk and add and stir till desired thickness
- Add Dumplings back in and simmer - at this point you can transfer to a crock pot and on low will be great for dinner if your busy blogging like I am.
- Serve over rice.
- Season to taste to your preference
- If you have Left overs you can freeze it or pack for lunch on day #4 or Freeze to add with another meal over biscuits some time.
Freezer tip - Put in a Large Freezer Bag ( gallon size) Label it and freeze Flat - saves allot of space in the freezer.
Disclosure: This blog may received products mentioned for no charge and/or accept compensation Regardless, all reviews and opinions are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255 Guides.