Making home made English Muffins is something I have wanted to do for a while and finally found some time to do make this, and they came out great. This particular recipe doesn’t take forever to rise and knead. Everyone in this house loves them, but frankly paying up to $4.99 a package for 6 is expensive. This recipe is so easy to do and you probably have everything in your pantry already and makes 15 of them for a much lower cost.
- 1 +1/2 cups Milk
- 2 TBS butter
- 2 TBS Sugar
- 1tsp baking soda
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- In Microwave bowl ad milk and butter and microwave for 2 minutes, remove and let cool slightly. Ad in sugar and yeast and stir - then let it sit untouched for 8 minutes.
- In LARGE bowl ad flour, salt, bakingsoda and wisk to mix, make a well. Then ad in egg and milk mixture and with a wooden spoon incorprate and mix to make a dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and kneed about five times, then roll out to about 1 inch thickness and cut with a 3 inch cutter ( I used a drinking glass )
- Place on a cookie sheet with a heavy dose of yellow corn meal on the bottom. Then sprinkle corn meal on the top. Cover with a tea towel or kitchen towel and let rise for aprox 30 minutes in a warm place. ( I turnedmy oven on to warm up ,then turned off and placed them in the oven with door open to rise.
- After 30 minutes. Prepare a griddle to hot and spray non stick cooking spray and grill each muffin for 5 minutes on each side , then remove back to cookie sheet with corn meal.
- After you have grilled them all. Put in oven at 325 minutes for aprox 25 minutes to finish drying out.
* Tip - you can use a bigger cutter, next time I will and probably make 12 instead of 15 if your wanting true to size. This was my first time making them . You can freeze them or they will keep in an air tight container for aprox a week.