I have tried my hands at making pretzel rolls, but not bigger bowl style ones. So decided today to give it a try - whats the worst that could happen ...... well , they turned out perfect and was super easy and inexpensive to do.
I am not sure but if you have priced pretzel rolls and bread lately- it can be a bit on the pricey end. I have to laugh because of the one step that is involved that cost pennies to do to turn ordinary bread into pretzel bread .
First lets start with the ingredients - 6 ingredients you probably have on hand!
Yup that's it - Water, Flour, Yeast, Brown Sugar, Salt, Butter, Baking Soda. Isnt baking great such little things can create some scrumptius things. Ok well enough of that - so lets get to this before my crew returns today from school and work. I will have to hide this bread, not sure how I will mask that smell of baked bread !!
Step # 1
- 2 Cups Warm Water (nice good warm water - not too hot from the tap)
Add to it this:
- 1 1/2 TBS Yeast
- 3 TBL Brown Sugar
- 3 TBS White Sugar
- Stir and let sit for 5 minutes
In Your Mixer Bowl with a Bread Hook add:
- 5 Cups of All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
Step # 3
- Make a Well in your Flour & Pour the Wet Yeast Water into the middle
Step # 4
- Turn on Low and let it do its thing, scraping down bowl
- Add in 1 More Cup of Flour to make a dough ( its going to be sticky)
- Kneed with Mixer on Low for 5 Minutes
- Remove Dough From Mixer - I tend to add in about 3 TBS of Flour to take a little of the stickiness out,k while removing it from the bowl
- Place dough directly on clean counter and cover with a greased bowl- let sit for 1 Hour
Step # 6
- After 1 Hour - Punch down your dough and form into a Large Bread Round and pinch the dough under making it a tight ball.
Step # 7
The Magic Step - do NOT skip this or you wont get pretzel bread- you will end up with a tough loaf of something else.
- In a Large Bowl add very HOT water that you can stand to touch
- Add in 1/3 Cup of Baking Soda and Stir
- Now Submurse your Bread Dough into this so it covers it and let it sit for about 2-3 minutes
- Remove your Bread Dough and place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Step # 8
- Place in a 450 degree oven for 2 Minutes - then turn the oven down to 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. After that shut the oven off and let it sit in there for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from Oven and Cool
Give yourself a pat on the back - you made pretzel bread bowls and saved some good money !
Disclosure: This blog may received products mentioned for no charge and/or accept compensation Regardless, all reviews and opinions are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255 Guides.